Understanding Ahlus Sunnah’s Two Definitions Of Innovations.

MuhammedAli

تجویز کردہ جواب

Understanding Ahlus Sunnah’s Two Definitions Of Innovations.

Introduction:

There are two definitions of innovation which the scholars of Ahlus Sunnah Wal Jammah have employed through centuries of Islam. One is championed by great scholars likes of Imam Abu Hanifa (rahimullah), Imam Shafi (rahimullah), Imam Malik (rahimullah), Imam Nawavi (rahimullah), and Imam Abu Hamid al-Ghazali (rahimullah). And the other is championed by Imam and Shaykh Ibn Rajab al-Hanbali (rahimullah), Mujadid Shaykh Ahmad Sirhindi (rahimullah) and the Kharijis like Salafis following and distorting his definition to meet their end. This article will present both definitions learning one, the other, or both will enable readers to judge between both definitions as well as to judge matters which Quran/Ahadith do not explicitly mention.

0.0 - Shaykh Ibn Rajab’s Basic Definition Of Innovation:

Any action/belief without Asal (foundation) from the Qur'an or Sunnah such is an innovation [in Shar’ri sense].

0.1 - Shaykh Ibn Rajab’s Expanded Definition Of Innovation:

Any action/belief without explicit or implicit Asal (foundation) from the Qur'an or Sunnah such is an innovation [in Shar’ri sense].

0.2 - Two Complimentary Principles To Shaykh Ibn Rajab’s Definition Of Innovation:

(i) Introducing a matter into Islam which is not of it is rejected. (ii) Engaging in any action not from Islam it is rejected.

0.3 - When An Invention Is An Innovation:

According to this definition any innovated practice composed of prophetic Sunnahs is not an innovation in Shar’ri sense therefore it will not be termed innovation. And any practice which invites to sins, Kufr, Shirk already mentioned in Quran/Hadith is innovation in Shar’ri sense and therefore it will be called an innovation.

1.0 - Sahih al-Bukhari And Suicide Bombing Called Martyrdom Operation:

(i) According to definition of Shaykh Ibn Rajab al-Hanbali (rahimullah) collection of Sahih al-Bukhari and every other book of Hadith compiled is not an innovation in Shar’ri sense of word innovation. Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wa aalihi was’sallam) allowed Abu Huraira (radiallah ta’ala anhu) to memorize what he uttered and his memorized record later was committed to paper. Companions also wrote Ahadith and Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wa aalihi was’sallam) allowed it: “Narrated Abdullah ibn Amr ibn al-'As: I used to write everything which I heard from the Messenger of Allah. I intended (by it) to memorize it. The Quraysh prohibited me saying: Do you write everything that you hear from him while the Messenger of Allah is a human being: he speaks in anger and pleasure? So I stopped writing, and mentioned it to the Messenger of Allah. He signaled with his finger to him mouth and said: Write, by Him in Whose hand my soul lies, only right comes out from it.” [Ref: Abu Dawud, B25, H3639,
here.] Even though this is not clear direct explicit evidence for writing of Bukhari, Muslim, Tirmadhi, Ibn Majah, and Sunan Abu Dawud etc. This Hadith is indirect/implicit evidence for committing words of Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wa aalihi was’sallam) to paper therefore in Shar’ri sense books of Ahadith are not innovation according to Shaykh Ibn Rajab al-Hanbali’s (rahimullah) definition of innovation. (ii) Suicide in religion of is Haram and whoever commits suicide he/she will remain in hellfire for eternity – forever committing suicide in hell like he did in earthly life. Khawarij of Najd have made suicide Halal for themselves under guise of martyrdom operation (Istish-shadd). They brainwash idiots telling them soon as you die here your eternal life in paradise will begin in arms of maidens of paradise and plenty and comfort. Just don’t forget to press the suicide bomb/vest boton brother. The Wahhabi idiot enters a market, Masjid, school bus, train, wedding hall, school, plane, church, a legitimate Israeli military target and kills himself. This action according to definition of Shaykh Ibn Rajab al-Hanbali (rahimullah) is an innovation because it is a new thing which has violated teaching of Shari’ah and has no direct/indirect evidential support from Quran/Ahadith. Instead it is an innovation in Shar’ri sense because it is composed of what is prohibited in following Hadith and Ahadith like it: “Narrated Thabit bin Ad-Dahhak: The Prophet said: ‘Whoever swears by a religion other than Islam, is, as he says, and whoever commits suicide with something, will be punished with the same thing in the fire, and ...’" [Ref: Bukhari, B78, H647, here.] And such innovations take to hellfire as following Hadith says: “'Whomsoever Allah (SWT) guides, none can lead him astray, and whomsoever Allah sends astray, none can guide. The truest of word is the Book of Allah and best of guidance is the guidance of Muhammad. The worst of things are those that are newly invented; every newly-invented thing is an innovation and every innovation is going astray, and every going astray is in the Fire.'” [Ref: Nisai, B19, H1579, here.]

2.0 - Following Great Majority And The Jammah Of Ummah:

Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wa aalihi was’sallam) instructed the believers to follow the great majority of Muslim scholarship and Muslims in general:
“Anas bin Malik said: “I heard the Messenger of Allah say: ‘My nation will not unite on misguidance, so if you see them differing, follow the great majority (sawad al-azam).’” [Ref: Ibn Majah, B36, H3950] In another Hadith the Sawad al-Azam is said to be the Jammah (i.e. main-group) of Muslims: “Abu Dharr (Allah be pleased with him) reported from the Prophet (Peace be upon him) that,"Two are better than one, and three better than two; so stick to the Jama'ah for verily Allah, Most Great and Glorious, will only unite my nation on guidance." [Ref: Musnad Ahmad, Kitab Al-Ansar, Abu Zar Al Ghaffari, H20776] “… on the authority of Abu Huraira that the Messenger of Allah said: Whoever defects from obedience (to the Amir) and separates from the Jammah (main-body) of the Muslim - and dies in that state - dies the death of one belonging to the days of jahiliyya. And,…” [Ref: Muslim, B20, H4557] The Jammah, the Sawad al-Azam are the great majority of Muslims and Islamic scholarship.

3.0 - Majority’s Fundamental Definition Of Reprehensible Innovation:

Any action/belief without Asal from the Qur'an or Sunnah such is a reprehensible innovation.

3.1 - Majority’s Expanded Definition Of Reprehensible Innovation:

Any action/belief without direct/explicit, or indirect/implicit evidence from the Qur'an or Sunnah such is a reprehensible innovation.

3.2 - Principle Regarding Reprehensible Innovation:

An innovation composed of actions/practices from outside of religion of Islam is rejected.

3.3 - Majority’s Fundamental Definition Of Praiseworthy Innovation:

Any action/belief with Asal from the Qur'an or Sunnah such is a praiseworthy innovation.

3.4 - Majority’s Expanded Definition Of Praiseworthy Innovation:

Any action/belief with explicit/direct, or implicit/indirect evidence from the Qur'an or Sunnah such is a praiseworthy innovation.

3.5 - Three Complimentary Principles Of Praise Innovation:

(i) Whoever introduces a good Biddah/Sunnah with which Allah and His Messenger is pleased then he shall receive good-deeds. (ii) One who innovates something in this matter of ours (and) that (innovation) is (composed) of it (Sunnah, or Islam) will have it accepted and rewarded. (iii) He who acted on any (innovated) action from our affair (of Islam) that (innovated action/innovation) is accepted and rewarded.

3.6 - Every Invention Is Innovation And Every Innovation Is Shar’ri:

Jamhoor (majority) of scholarship holds to understanding that every invention is an innovation in term/sense of Shari’ah and in context of a newly invented practice there is nothing such as linguistic innovation. And they divide innovation into two main categories praiseworthy/good and reprehensible/evil then these main categories are further subdivided to precisely determine which type of innovation it is.

3.7 - Praiseworthy And Reprehensible Innovations Subdivided:

Mainstream Islamic scholarship categorizes innovation as: (A) Shar’ri Innovation. Shar’ri innovation is divided into two categories: (i) Hasanah (praiseworthy), (ii) Dhalalah (reprehensible). Both of these are further divided into two categories each: (i) Amali (actions), (ii) Itiqadi (beliefs). Praiseworthy innovation of action is divided into three categories: (i) Jaiz (permissible), (ii) Mustahab (liked, approved, reward-worthy), (iii) Wajib (obligatory). (B) Reprehensible innovation in actions is divided into two categories: (i) Makhruh (disliked), (ii) Haram (forbidden). Makruh innovation is divided by two categories: (i) Tahrimi (i.e. forbiddenish), extremely undesirable nearing Haram and sinful. (ii) Tanzihi (i.e. blameless), undesirable but not sinful. Innovated evil belief is divided into three categories: (i) Zindiqiyyah (heretical), (ii) Kufr (disbelief), (iii) Shirk (polytheistic).

4.0 - Books Of Ahadith And Martyrdom Operation According Jammah:

(i) According to the definition of great majority of Muslims of Ummah and their scholarship Sahih al-Bukhari and books of Ahadith in general are praiseworthy innovations which earn reward. One because there is precedent of compiling Ahadith in book format: “Narrated Abdullah ibn Amr ibn al-'As: I used to write everything which I heard from the Messenger of Allah. I intended (by it) to memorise it. The Quraysh prohibited me saying: Do you write everything that you hear from him while the Messenger of Allah is a human being: he speaks in anger and pleasure? So I stopped writing, and mentioned it to the Messenger of Allah. He signalled with his finger to him mouth and said: Write, by Him in Whose hand my soul lies, only right comes out from it.” [Ref: Abu Dawud, B25, H3639,
here.] This precedent becomes implicit/indirect evidence required for Ahadith because through Qiyas Shar’ri it can be reasoned, if it was allowed for them it is allowed for him/us. Two because Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wa aalihi was’sallam) said: “He who introduced some good Sunnah in Islam which was followed after him (by people) he would be assured of reward like one who followed it, without their rewards being diminished in any respect” [Ref: Muslim, B34, H6466] At minimum these are classed as Biddah Hasanah Mustahab and accurately Biddah Hasanah Wajib because Ahadith are essential for understanding religion of Islam just as Arabic is essential for truly understanding Qur’anic message. (ii) Suicide bombing also called martyrdom operation, one way permanent ticket to hellfire, in definition of Jamhoor (majority) Ahlus Sunnah Wal Jammah is a reprehensible/evil innovation and to be precise Biddah Dhalalah Amali Haram (evil innovated prohibited action). It is Haram innovation because it is composed of a Haram. Evidence for it exactly is same as previous: “Narrated Thabit bin Ad-Dahhak: The Prophet said: ‘Whoever swears by a religion other than Islam, is, as he says, and whoever commits suicide with something, will be punished with the same thing in the fire, and ...’" [Ref: Bukhari, B78, H647, here.] “'Whomsoever Allah (SWT) guides, none can lead him astray, and whomsoever Allah sends astray, none can guide. The truest of word is the Book of Allah and best of guidance is the guidance of Muhammad. The worst of things are those that are newly invented; every newly-invented thing is an innovation and every innovation is going astray, and every going astray is in the Fire.'” [Ref: Nisai, B19, H1579, here.]

5.0 – The Difference Between Two Terminologies Is Of Labels:

There is no real difference between the two terminologies except of labels. According to Shaykh Ibn Rajab al-Hanbali’s (rahimullah) definition of innovation. Books of Ahadith are not classed as innovations in Shar’ri sense of word innovation. And according to great majority of Muslim scholarship these are innovations in Shar’ri sense but good/praiseworthy innovations. Committing suicide attack in definition of Shaykh Ibn Rajab al-Hanbali (rahimullah) is a Shar’ri innovation which takes to hellfire. Every Shar’ri innovation in his definition takes to hellfire but not linguistic innovation. On other hand according to Jamhoor’s definition of innovation martyrdom operation as practiced by Khawarij is an evil/reprehensible prohibited innovative action which takes to hellfire. Despite the different labels in both definitions the evidences supporting each are exactly identical. Thus proving difference is of peripheral nature and not of real substance.

Wama alayna ilal balaghul mubeen.
Muhammed Ali Razavi
Edited by MuhammedAli

• MuhammedAli changed the title to Understanding Ahlus Sunnah’s Two Definitions Of Innovations.

بحث میں حصہ لیں

آپ ابھی پوسٹ کرکے بعد میں رجسٹر ہوسکتے ہیں۔ اگر آپ پہلے سے رجسٹرڈ ہیں تو سائن اِن کریں اور اپنے اکاؤنٹ سے پوسٹ کریں۔
نوٹ: آپ کی پوسٹ ناظم کی اجازت کے بعد نظر آئے گی۔

اس ٹاپک پر جواب دیں

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• حالیہ دیکھنے والے   0 اراکین

• کوئی رجسٹرڈ رُکن اس صفحے کو نہیں دیکھ رہا