IslamiMehfil

Definition Of Reprehensible Innovation: With Principles & Explaination Of Principles.

Definition Of Reprehensible Innovation: With Principles & Explaination Of Principles.

Reprehensible Innovation:

- Any innovated Practice/Beleife without daleel[1] from the Qur'an/Sunnah[2] is Bidah Sai'yah (i.e. reprehensible innovation).

Footnotes:

- [1] 'Daleel' literally means evidence, and in terminology of innovation it means two type of evidence, explicit evidence, or implicit evidence. Readers have to assume both where the word is used.

- [2] Sunnah Qawli - proven from statement of Prophet (sallalahu alayhi was'sallam). Sunnah Fehli - proven from actions of Prophet (sallalahu alayhi was'sallam). Taqreeri - proven from acceptance of Prophet (sallalahu alayhi was'sallam). Sunnah Wasfi - proven from qualities, characteristics, behavior of Prophet (sallalahu alayhi was'sallam).

Principle One:

- Any innovated action/belief for which there is no explicit evidence from Qur’an or the Sunnah but it is done with the belief that it is part of deen[3] it is reprehensible innovation.

- Any innovated action/belief for which there is no implicit evidence[4] from Qur’an or the Sunnah but it is done with the belief that it is part of deen[5] it is reprehensible innovation.

Footnotes:

- [3] 'part of deen' in meaning instruction from Allah (subhana wa ta'ala) in Qur’an or Sunnah of beloved Messenger (sallalahu alayhi was'sallam) recorded in Hadith.

- [4]Implicit evidence is evidence which directly does not refer to a issue in particular but with qiyas it can be turned toward the issue. Reciting bismillah while getting on bus. No direct evidence from Qur’an, Sunnah for it. But with qiyas, bus is like house, has four walls roof, seating area, therefore the hadith of: “Jabir b. 'Abdullah reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: When a person enters his house and mentions the name of Allah at the time of entering it and while eating the food, Satan says (addressing himself: ...” [Ref: Muslim, B23, H5006] can be used to substantiate recitation of bismillah entering bus.

[5]'part of deen' in meaning of it being; permissible in Islam (even though it is not part of Sunnah or instruction/statement of Allah (subhana wa ta'ala) in Quran.). To explain differently, considering it; permissible on the basis of Ijtihad; which is dependent upon indirect evidence.

Principle Two:

- Any innovated action/belief that is against[6] Qur’an & Sunnah but it is believed to be part of deen[7] is reprehensible innovation.

Footnotes:

- [6] Against in meaning of being prohibited (i.e. Haram), against in meaning of it being declared Kuffr (i.e. disbelief) or Shirk (i.e. Polytheism) in Qur’an or Sunnah.

- [7] 'part of deen' in meaning of considering it permissible, considering it Sunnah, considering it a Fard (i.e. compulsory act) sanctioned in Qur’an by Allah (subhana wa ta'ala).

Principle Three:

- Adding, Altering, and/or Omitting anything from the Qur’an, & Sunnah of our beloved Prophet (sallalahu alayhi was'sallam) is reprehensible innovation.

Principle Three: Simplified

- Adding anything to teaching of Qur’an, or Sunnah of RasoolAllah (sallalahu alayhi was'sallam) for which there is no 'daleel' of is reprehensible innovation.

- Altering anything of the teaching of Qur’an or Sunnah of RasoolAllah (sallalahu alayhi was'sallam) for which there is no 'daleel' is reprehensible innovation.

- Deleting anything from teaching of Qur’an or Sunnah of beloved Prophet (sallalahu alayhi was'sallam) for which there is no 'daleel' is reprehensible innovation.

Meaning Of: 'Adding'

- words/actions to regulated acts of worship.[8]

- a belief/practice into Islam as Sunnah.[9]

- by enacting a reprehensible action with belief it is permissible/impermissible[10] in Islam.

- by believing a reprehensible belief with conviction it is permissible in Islam.[11]

Footnotes:

- [8] Example of this would be adding extra prostrations; performing three prostrations instead of two. Or reciting a additional phrase (i.e. Qul huwallahu ahad) to what is recited in prostration (i.e. subhana rabbiyal a'ala).

- [9] Considering Yoga as Sunnah, or believing in reincarnation etc.

- [10]If the person considered it impermissible but it became a custom/practice and fallowed after him then its reprehensible innovation otherwise its sin.

- [11] One such belief is of the anthropomorphists who believe in yaddullah in haqqiqi (i.e. literal) meanings. They believe in Hand of Allah (subhana wa ta'ala) yet Allah (subhana wa ta'ala) is without likeness to His creation recorded in Surah 42 Verse 11: “... laysaka misli shai'ee ...” (i.e. “... there is nothing like Him [i.e. Allah] ...”).

Meaning Of: 'Altering'

- regulated acts of worship by performing something first which was to be practiced after[12]

- regulated acts of worship by reciting something first which was to be recited after.[13]

Footnotes:

- [12] Performing Sajdah (i.e. prostration) before Ruku (i.e. bowing) in prayers.

- [13] Reciting Surah Fatiha in Sajdah.

Meaning Of: 'Omission'

- of actions from regulated acts of worship.[14]

- of recitation which is fundamentally part of regulated act of worship.[15]

- of anything from Qur’an, Sunnah by rejecting it without just basis.[16]

Footnotes:

- [14] Not turning right/left to greet in prayers with words:'As'salamu alayqum wa rahmatullah.'but repeating it twice looking toward Qibla.

- [15] Omitting of Salawat Ibrahimi (i.e.“Allahumma salli ala Muhammediv wa a'ala a'ali Muhammediv kama sal'laee ta'ala Ibrahima wa a'ala a'ali Ibrahima in'naka hameedum majeed. ...”)

- [16] Believing that parts of Quran have been omitted as certain apostates of Shia'ism believe. Or rejecting a sahih hadith which is accepted by the Ummah as whole to be authentic.

Principle Four:

- Any praiseworthy innovation for which there is implicit evidence from Qur’an or the Sunnah but it is done with the belief that it is part of deen[17] it is reprehensible innovation.

Footnotes:

- [17] 'part of deen' in meaning of being Sunnah, or explicit instruction of Allah (subhana wa ta'ala) in Quran.

Wama alayna ilal balaghul mubeen.

Muhammed Ali Razai