Food and Hunger In Islam: Mystical Consideration.

Abu Habiba

تجویز کردہ جواب

As-Salaam alaikum,

In his book, 'Futuhat al-Makkiyyah',  Sayyadi Ibn Arabi (1165-1240), may Allah be Merciful to him, devoted a whole chapter entitled the Presence of the Nourisher (Hadrat al-muqit), in which  Sheikh Sahl Ibn Abdullah al-Tustari's ideas on this subject were elaborated. He mentions a telling incident:--

''He [Sahl] was asked about nourishment, to which he replied 'Allah'!  It was then said to him, 'We are asking

about food,' to which he [again] replied, 'Allah'.  Then the questioner said: 'I am asking you about the nourishment

of bodies or persons.' Sahl [then] knew that the questioner was ignorant of what he intended and so Sahl descended

[to his level] by an answer with another breath, different from the first breath... then Sahl said to him, 'What have you

to do with them', meaning the bodies, 'leave the houses to their Builder. If He wills He will destroy them and if He wills

He will fill them.'  Sahl thus retained his first answer but in another form. The house is filled through its dweller and

nourishment [of the body] is Allah just like he said the first time, except that [now] the questioner was satisfied with

the second answer.''

A slightly modified version of this event is cited in Abu Talib al-Makki's book, 'Nourishment of Hearts (Qut al-Qulub)', where al-Makki writes:--

''Sahl was asked about nourishment. He replied, 'his nourishment is Allah Most High.'  The man said, 'I asked about his

bodily sustenance.' He replied, '[it is] the Remembrance of Allah.'  The man said, 'I asked about food.'  He replied: 'his meal

is knowledge.'  The man [then] said again: 'I meant food for the body.'  He said: 'What do you have to do with the body? Leave

the body to the One who took charge of it in pre-eternity, He will  take charge of it now.'

What all this establish is that austerity regarding food is not rooted in asceticism for its own sake, but in a mystical vision that identified Allah Ta'ala not just as the Provider of nourishment, but the nourishment itself. And as observed by Imam Abu Hamid al-Ghazzali in his 'Ihya Ulumuddin',  ''Wisdom and Knowledge lie in hunger whereas disobedience and ignorance lie in satiation.''

بحث میں حصہ لیں

آپ ابھی پوسٹ کرکے بعد میں رجسٹر ہوسکتے ہیں۔ اگر آپ پہلے سے رجسٹرڈ ہیں تو سائن اِن کریں اور اپنے اکاؤنٹ سے پوسٹ کریں۔
نوٹ: آپ کی پوسٹ ناظم کی اجازت کے بعد نظر آئے گی۔

اس ٹاپک پر جواب دیں

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• حالیہ دیکھنے والے   0 اراکین

• کوئی رجسٹرڈ رُکن اس صفحے کو نہیں دیکھ رہا