Hayat Un Nabi

Abdullah Yusuf

تجویز کردہ جواب

Hayaat ul-Anbiya (عليه السلام) [Prophet's are Alive]

The belief of the mainstream Ahlus-Sunnah wal-Jama’ah is that our beloved Prophet of Allah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) and other Prophets (عليهم السلام) are alive in their respective graves (except for those risen alive like for example Isa alayh salam).

They are usually involved in performing prayers and worshiping Allah (out of their own free choice without it being obligatory on them), which we cannot normally see or feel just like Angels are alive and present but we cannot normally see them.

Proofs on the fact that Prophets (عليهم السلام) remain alive in their graves:

There are many proofs in the Qur’an, Hadith and sayings of the predecessors regarding the prophets remaining alive after death. Some are reproduced here:

Qur'an States:

ضَرَبَ اللَّهُ مَثَلًا رَّجُلًا فِيهِ شُرَكَاءَ مُتَشَاكِسُونَ وَرَجُلًا سَلَمًا لِّرَجُلٍ هَلْ يَسْتَوِيَانِ مَثَلًا الْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ بَلْ أَكْثَرُهُمْ لَا يَعْلَمُونَ

Allah puts forth a Parable a man belonging to many partners at variance with each other, and a man belonging entirely to one master: are those two equal in comparison? Praise be to Allah. but most of them have no knowledge. [az-Zumar 39:29]

NOW THE NEXT VERSE SAYS WHICH SALAFIS/WAHABIS OFTEN MISUSE:

إِنَّكَ مَيِّتٌ وَإِنَّهُم مَّيِّتُونَ

Truly thou wilt die (one day), and truly they (too) will die (one day). [az-Zumar 39:30]

As mentioned in (Verse number 29) the condition of two persons to be different, similarly the death of Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) is not same like other deaths. There is great difference between the conditions and the levels of both. This example was given because of this reason that equality to the respect of Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) (Shan-e-Nabuwah) should be condemned completely.

It is concocted by some that Ahlus-Sunnah wa al-Jama’ah actually believes that the Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وسلم) did not die!! What a gross accusation!! The true belief of the Ahlus-Sunnah wa al-Jama’ah is that the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم), did indeed "TASTE" death, but then he is made alive in his grave. (Note: All the proofs misused by certain people do prove that prophets including Sayyidna Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وسلم) had tasted death. We do believe in all those verses and Ahadith, so there are no two opinions about that point, however the point to be discussed here is not the occurrence of death but the true concept of the death of a Prophet) 

It is in the grave that our beloved Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وسلم) is presented with our deeds, and makes supplication on behalf of the Ummah. There are also instances where the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) will appear in our dreams and comfort us with good news and glad tidings. We also believe that to send salaam (salutations) to our Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) is directly received by him and that It will be met with a reply.

Qur'an States:

وَلاَ تَقُولُواْ لِمَنْ يُقْتَلُ فِي سَبِيلِ اللّهِ أَمْوَاتٌ بَلْ أَحْيَاءٌ وَلَكِن لاَّ تَشْعُرُونَ

And say not of those who are slain (martyred) in the way of Allah, “they are dead”, nay, they are living, though you perceive it not”
 [surah al-Baqarah, 154]

Of course, it goes without saying that the position of the Prophets (عليهم السلام) is above and beyond the status of those who are martyred in Allah's way. This proves that he (صلى الله عليه وسلم) is alive too. 

Imam Ibn Hajar al-Asqalani (Allah have mercy on him) states:

واحسن من هذا الجواب ان يقال ان حياته صلى الله عليه وسلم في القبر لايعقبها موت بل يستمر حيا والأنبياء احياء في قبورهم

Translation: The best answer in this regard is that Prophet (Peace be upon him) is alive “IN HIS GRAVE AND DEATH WILL NEVER COME TO HIM” but he will remain alive, due to the fact that the Prophets remain alive in their graves [Fath ul Bari, Sharh Sahih ul Bukhari (7/22)]

Qadhi Shawkani a big Wahabite authority writes: "In the Qur'an it is mentioned that martyrs are alive and food is provided for them. The Prophets and righteous people are a lot higher in status than them so what will be their place? It has been proven through Ahadith that Prophets are alive in their graves. Both Imam at-Tirmidhi and Imam al-Bayhaqi have said that these are authentic Ahadith" [Nayl al-Awtar, Volume 003, Page No. 82]

Hadith #1

عَنْ أَنَسِ بْنِ مَالِکٍ رضي الله عنه أَنَّ رَسُوْلَ اﷲِ صلي الله عليه وآله وسلم قَالَ : أَتَيْتُ، (وفي رواية هدّاب:) مَرَرْتُ عَلَي مُوْسَي لَيْلَةَ أُسْرِيَ بِي عِنْدَ الْکَثِيْبِ الْأَحْمَرِ وَهُوَ قَائِمٌ يُصَلِّي فِي قَبْرِه

Anas b. malik reported: Allah's Messenger (صلى الله عليه وسلم) as saying: I came. And in the narration transmitted on the authority of Haddib (the words are): I happened to pass by Moses (عليه السلام) on the occasion of the Night journey near the red mound (and found him) saying his prayer in his Grave. [sahih Muslim Book 030, Number 5858:] Click here for Scanned Page (174)

Note: Praying inside grave represents "Haqeeqi" life

Imam Nasai, Sunan Nasai, Book : As Salah Chapter : Zikr Salat NABI ALLAH MOSA A.S Volume : 2 page : 237 Hadith number : 1630-1636 Click here for Scanned Page (175)

►Imam Nasai, Sunan Al Kubra, Book : As Salah Chapter : Zikr Salat NABI ALLAH MOSA Bil-Laiyl Volume : 2 Page : Hadith number : 1330 Click here for Scanned Page (176)

Hadith #2

عَنْ أَنَسِ بْنِ مَالِکٍ رضي الله عنه قَالَ : قَالَ رَسُوْلُ اﷲِ صلي الله عليه وآله وسلم : الْأَنْبِيَاءُ أَحْيَاءٌ فِي قُبُوْرِهِمْ يُصَلُّوْنَ

Anas b. malik reported: Allah's Messenger (صلى الله عليه وسلم) said: The Prophets are alive in their graves and praying

References

Bayhaqi, Hayat ul-Anbiyah, Page No. 003 Click here for Scanned Page (54)

Abu Ya’la in his Musnad with Sahih Isnaad Volume 006: Number 3425 Click here for Scanned Page (72)

Imam al-Haythami after this hadith said: Abu Ya’la and Bazzar narrated it and all the narrators of Abu Ya’la are"THIQA" [Majma az Zawaid Volume 8, Page No. 387, Hadith No. 13812]

►Imam Haytami, Majma Az Zawaid , Book : Kitab Feehi Zikar Al Ambiya (35) Chapter : Zikar Al Ambiya A.S Volume : 8 Page : 276 Hadith number : 13812 Click here for Scanned Page (177)

Al-Albani, in Silsilat al-ahadith al-sahihah Volume 02, Page No. 187, Hadith Number 621 Click here for Scanned Page (55)

وَقَالَ ابْنُ عَدِيٍّ : وَأَرْجُوْ أَنَّهُ لَا بَأْسَ بِهِ

This hadith is mentioned by Imam Abu Yala and the narrators of this hadith are strong and this hadith is also mentioned by Imam Ibn Adi and bayhaqi. Imam ibn Adi said there is no harm in it (i.e. the chain)

والعسقلاني في الفتح وقال : قد جمع البيهقي کتابًا لطيفًا في حياة الأنبياء في قبورهم أورد فيه حديث أنس رضي الله عنه : الأنبياء أحياء في قبورهم يصلّون. أخرجه من طريق يحيي بن أبي کثير وهو من رجال الصحيح عن المستلم بن سعيد وقد وثّقه أحمد وابن حبّان عن الحجاج الأسود وهو ابن أبي زياد البصري وقد وثّقه أحمد وابن معين عن ثابت عنه وأخرجه أيضاً أبو يعلي في مسنده من هذا الوجه وأخرجه البزار وصحّحه البيهقي

Imam Ibn Hajar al-Asqalani (Allah have mercy on him) have said in Fath-ul-bari that: Imam Bayhaqi has compiled a fabulous book on Hayaat of Anbiya (عليه السلام) in their graves, there he has narrated a hadith from Hadrat Anas (رضي الله عنهم) that Prophets (عليه السلام) are alive in their graves and praying. He has narrated this hadith from the route of Yahya bin Abi kathir and he is narrator of Sahih, (Next Page No. 603) he has narrated from Mustalim bin Saeed who is declared as “THIQA”(Sound) by Imam Ahmad and Imam Ibn Hibban, from Hajaj al-Aswad and he is Ibn Abi Ziyad al-Basri whom Imam Ahmad and (Yahya) bin Moeen declared "THIQA"(Sound)from Thabit and Imam Abu Yala has also mentioned this hadith in his musnad on the same way.... Also when the living of the martyrs is proven from the Nass of the Qur'an, then the Prophets are superior than the martyrs [Fath ul Bari, Volume No. 6, Page Nos. 602-603]

Click here for Scanned Page (56)

Hadith #3

حدثنا أبو بكر بن أبي شيبة حدثنا الحسين بن علي عن عبد الرحمن بن يزيد بن جابر عن أبي الأشعث الصنعاني عن أوس بن أوس قال  قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم إن من أفضل أيامكم يوم الجمعة فيه خلق آدم وفيه النفخة وفيه الصعقة فأكثروا علي من الصلاة فيه فإن صلاتكم معروضة علي فقال رجل يا رسول الله كيف تعرض صلاتنا عليك وقد أرمت يعني بليت قال إن الله حرم على الأرض أن تأكل أجساد الأنبياء 

Narated By Aws bin Aws: The Apostle of Allah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) said: Among the most excellent of your days is Friday; On it Adam was created; On it shall be the Nafakhah(Sur); on it all creation will be swoon. So send a great dealing of blessing upon me on this day, for your blessings will be presented to me. . They (the Companions) asked: Apostle of Allah, how can our blessing be submitted to you, when your body is decayed? He said: Allah has prohibited the earth from consuming the bodies of the Prophets. [sunan Ibn Maja Volume 001: Hadith Number 1626:]

Hadith #4

‏عن ‏ ‏أبي الدرداء ‏ ‏قال ‏قال رسول الله ‏ ‏صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏ ‏أكثروا الصلاة علي يوم الجمعة فإنه مشهود تشهده الملائكة وإن أحدا لن يصلي علي إلا عرضت علي صلاته حتى يفرغ منها قال قلت وبعد الموت قال وبعد الموت إن الله حرم على الأرض أن تأكل أجساد الأنبياء فنبي الله حي يرزق

Narrated on the authority of Abu Darda: Allah's Messenger (صلى الله عليه وسلم) said, "Invoke many blessings on me on Friday for it is witnessed. The angels are present on it, and no one will invoke a blessing on me without his blessing being submitted to me till he stops." I asked whether that applied also after his death, and he replied, "Allah has prohibited the Earth from consuming the bodies of the prophets; so Allah's prophet is alive and given provision. [sunan Ibn Maja Volume 001: Hadith Number 1627]

Hadrat Sheikh ‘Abd al-Haq “Muhaddith-e-Dhelvi” states under the commentary of this Hadith that:

The Prophets of Allah are alive in their graves, “JUST AS THEY WERE ALIVE IN THE WORLD“
[Ash’at al-Lam’at – Vol. 1 Pg. 576]

Sheikh Abdul Haq Muhadith Dhelvi (rah) clarifies another important point, he states:

The Prophets are alive and everyone believes that they are alive; there is no disagreement in this. Their life (in their graves)”IS REAL, PHYSICAL LIFE (LIKE THEY POSSESSED IN THE WORLD)”
 not like the martyrs whose life is only spiritual. [Ash’at al-Lam’at – Vol. 1 Pg. 574]

Important Note: The Wahabi big authorities like Nawab Sadeeq Hasan Khan Bhopali had accepted Shaykh Abdul Haqq Muhadith Dhelvi (Rahimahullah) to be amongst great scholars and this proves that idiotic scholars like Albani, Bin Baaz, Ibn Uthaymeen and company are not even dust on the feet of Shaykh Abdul Haq Muhadith Dhelvi (Rahimahullah). Hence Wahabis cannot shy away from him. We know that Wahabis upon getting caught from Aqwaal of scholars do say hypocritically that they do not follow scholars (We use the word hypocritically because Wahabis only reject scholars when things contradict their pre-conceived beliefs).

So when Wahabis go mad in rejecting scholars then what to do? A layman would hold his head thinking that these Khabeeth people cleverly reject Qur'an, reject Sunnah, and also Aqwaal of scholars so how could they be convinced? The answer is that after all these noble sources only logic is left. If Wahabis reject even logic after glaring proofs from Sacred law, then Wallahi they will not believe even if Jibreel (alayh salam) descends.

Logical Answer based on Shari'i logic not of mere Aql: The Haqeeqi (real) Hayaat of Anbiya in their graves is in correspondence to hadiths because "STANDING" &  "PRAYING IN GRAVE" includes both Body and Ruh, plus Isra wal Mi'raaj of Prophet (Peace be upon him) was both with Body and Ruh and he led the Prophets in Masjiq ul Aqsa in "REALITY" not just in Majaaz. Only the Qadiyani, Parvaizi, Qurani'tes and such big disbelievers reject Isra wal Mi'raaj to be with body. The Wahabis in ignorance are following people like Parvaize by denying the Haqeeqi Hayaat of Anbiya.

Still Wahabis might misguide people by saying: What if graves of Prophets are dug (Naudhobillah) and then would we see them literally standing and praying? The answer to this comes from the authentic and Mushoor narration about Umar (ra) calling the Sahabi Sariyah (ra) from far and Sariyah hearing the call. Now no telephone, internet or technology was used but still Saariyah (ra) heard the call, we ask Wahabis how did that happen? If Wahabis say that Umar (ra) was inspired (i.e. Muhadath) then Wahabism is already stumbling by accepting this fact about Sayyidna Umar (Remember, had the hadith of Muhadath not been narrated in Bukhari, wahabis would have rejected it too) because now it stands proven that Kashf of Awliya is proven even if other people cannot perceive it from known senses.

Or for example we know through of Qur'an that Angels and Jinns exist, however our frequency and dimension does not match with theirs so we often do not seen them (But Prophet did see Angel Jibreel in his original form), hence Prophets are indeed praying and alive "IN REALITY" even if we cannot see that physically just like we cannot see Angels.

One more example and remember by giving this example the author Aamir Ibrahim takes full responsibility (but with belief that no comparison is made with Prophets, this following proof actually gives testimony to wonderful creations of Allah): We know that many animals have sense of sight in special ways even without sight itself (bat is an example which sees through sound waves we are unable to hear), now an ignorant Wahabi who does not know science well would say that Bats should hit objects very frequently as they cannot see. Hence seeing is not always believing my friends, the Wahabis use atheist or Mulhid kind of approach to deny Hayaat of Anbiya, many atheists or Mulhideen deny existence of Jesus (Peace be upon him) because there is no grave of Jesus, they say that Jesus was Naudhobillah a mythical person who did not exist in reality. The atheists and Mulhideen use such reasoning just because they could not see grave of Jesus and as they believe that seeing is believing so they come to conclusion that he did not exist (Naudhobillah). Islam however is the most deep religion and in Islam things are not just based on "SIGHT" only. Had rulings been based on "SIGHT" only then have we seen Allah in order to believe in Him?? 

Hadith #5

عَنْ أَبِي هُرَيْرَةَ رضي الله عنه أَنَّ رَسُوْلَ اﷲِ صلي الله عليه وآله وسلم قَالَ : مَا مِنْ أَحَدٍ يُسَلِّمُ عَلَيَّ إِلَّا رَدَّ اﷲُ عَلَيَّ رُوْحِي، حَتَّي أَرُدَّ عَلَيْهِ السَّلَامَ

Narated By AbuHurayrah: The Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) said: If any one of you greets me, Allah returns my soul to me and I respond to the greeting. [Abu Dawud Book 004, Hadith Number 2036:]

Imam Jalal ud-din Suyuti (rah) said: The word "radda" means `ala al-dawam," i.e. permanently, and not temporarily: in other words, Allah does not return the Ruh and take it back, then return it again and then take it back again, but He returned it to the Prophet permanently, and the Prophet is alive permanently. [Al-Hawi lil Fatawi, Vol.2, Page No.271-272]

Imam al-Nawawi (rah) says of this hadith :

رَوَاهُ أبُو دَاوُدَ بإسناد صحيح

Translation: It is narrated by Abu Dawud with a “SAHIH CHAIN” [Riyadh us Saliheen 1/255, Hadith # 1402]

Qadhi Shawkani the leading authority for Ghair Muqalideen says before narrating it:

وأصح ما ورد في ذلك ما رواه أحمد وأبو داود عن أبي هريرة مرفوعاً

Translation: It has been narrated by Imam Ahmed and Abu Dawud with a Sahih and Marfu chain from Abu Hurraira [Nayl al Awtar 5/164]

Hadith #6

عَنْ أَبِي هُرَيْرَةَ رضي الله عنه قَالَ : قَالَ رَسُوْلُ اﷲِ صلي الله عليه وآله وسلم : لَقَدْ رَأَيْتُنِي فِي الْحِجْرِ، وَقُرَيْشٌ تَسْأَلُنِي عَنْ مَسْرَايَ، فَسَأَلَتْنِي عَنْ أَشْيَاءَ مِنْ بَيْتِ الْمَقْدِسِ لَمْ أُثْبِتْهَا، فَکَرِبْتُ کُرْبَةً مَا کَرِبْتُ مِثْلَهُ قًطُّ، قَالَ : فَرَفَعَهُ اﷲُ لِي أَنْظُرُ إِلَيْهِ. مَا يَسْأَلُوْنِي عَنْ شَيءٍ إِلَّا أَنْبَأْتُهُمْ بِهِ. وَقَدْ رَأَيْتُنِي فِي جَمَاعَةٍ مِنَ الْأَنْبِيَاءِ، فَإِذَا مُوْسَي عليه السلام قَاءِمٌ يُصَلِّي، فَإِذَا رَجُلٌ ضَرْبٌ جَعْدٌ کَأَنَّهُ مِنْ رِجَالِ شَنُوْءَةَ. وَإِِذَا عِيْسَي ابْنُ مَرْيَمَ عليه السلام قَائِمٌ يُصَلِّي، أَقْرَبُ النَّاسِ بِهِ شَبَهًا عُرْوَةُ بْنُ مَسْعُوْدٍ الثَّقَفِيُّ. وَإِذَا إِبْرَاهِيْمُ عليه السلام قَائِمٌ يُصَلِّي، أَشْبَهُ النَّاسِ بِهِ صَاحِبُکُمْ (يَعْنِي نَفْسَهُ) فَحَانَتِ الصَّلَاةُ فَأَمَمْتُهُمْ فَلَمَّا فَرَغْتُ مِنَ الصَّلَاةِ، قَالَ قَائِلٌ : يَا مُحَمَّدُ، هَذَا مَالِکٌ صَاحِبُ النَّارِ فَسَلِّمْ عَلَيْهِ. فَالْتَفَتُّ إِلَيْهِ فَبَدَأَنِي بِالسَّلَامِ

It is narrated on the authority of Abu Huraira that the Messenger of Allah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) said: I found myself in Hijr and the Quraish were asking me about my might journey. I was asked about things pertaining to Bait-ul-Maqdis which I could not preserve (in my mind). I was very much vexed, so vexed as I had never been before. Then Allah raised it (Bait-ul-Maqdis) before my eyes. I looked towards it, and I gave them the information about whatever they questioned me I also saw myself among the group of apostles. I saw Moses (عليه السلام) saying prayer and found him to be a well-built man as if he was a man of the tribe of Shanu'a. I saw Jesus son of Mary (عليه السلام) offering prayer, of all of men he had the closest resemblance with 'Urwa b. Masu'd al-Thaqafi. I saw Ibrahim (عليه السلام) offering prayer; he had the closest resemblance with your companion (the Prophet himself) amongst people. When the time of prayer came I led them. When I completed the prayer, someone said: Here is Malik, the keeper of the Hell; pay him salutations. I turned to him, but he preceded me in salutation. [sahih Muslim Book 001, Number 0328:]

Hadith #7

عَنْ أَوْسِ بْنِ أَوْسٍ رضي الله عنه قَالَ : قَالَ رَسُوْلُ اﷲِ صلي الله عليه وآله وسلم : إِنَّ مِنْ أَفْضَلِ أَيَامِکُمْ يَوْمَ الْجُمُعَةِ، فِيْهِ خُلِقَ آدَمُ، وَفِيْهِ قُبِضَ وَفِيْهِ النَّفْخَةُ، وَفِيْهِ الصَّعْقَةُ فَأَکْثِرُوْا عَلَيَّ مِنَ الصَّلَاةِ فِيْهِ، فَإِنَّ صَلَاتَکُمْ مَعْرُوْضَةٌ عَلَيَّ، قَالَ : قَالُوْا : يَا رَسُوْلَ اﷲِ! کَيْفَ تُعْرَضُ صَلَاتُنَا عَلَيْکَ وَقَدْ أَرِمْتَ؟ يَقُوْلُوْنَ : بَلِيْتَ قَالَ صلي الله عليه وآله وسلم : إِنَّ اﷲَ حَرَّمَ عَلَي الْأَرْضِ أَجْسَادَ الْأَنْبِيَاءِ

Narated By Aws b. Aws :

The Apostle of Allah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) said: Among the most excellent of your days is Friday, on it Adam was created, on it he died, on it the trumpet will be blown and on it the shout will be made, so invoke many blessings on me that day, for your blessing will be submitted to me. They (the Companions) asked: Apostle of Allah, how can our blessing be submitted to you, when your body is decayed? He said: Allah has prohibited the earth from consuming the bodies of the Prophets. [Abu Dawud Book 002, Hadith Number 1526] Click here for Scanned Page (188)

Also found in following books

1) Imam Nawawi said "Isnaad is Sahih" , Al Azkaar,  Chapter : As salah 'Ala AN NABI SAW Volume : 1 Page : 131-132 Hadith number : 302 Click here for Scanned Page (178)

2) Imam Ibn e Hajar 'Asqalani, fathul Bari , Volume : 6 Page : 562 Click here for Scanned Page (179)

3) Imam Tabrani , Ma'jam Al Ausath Volume : 5 Page : 97 Hadith number : 4780 Click here for Scanned Page (180)

4) Imam Tabrani, Ma'jam Al Kabeer Volume : 1 Page : 216-217 Hadith number : 589 Click here for Scanned Page (181)

5)  Ibn e Abi Shaibah in Musannaf, Book : As Salah Chapter : 795 Volume : 6 Page : 40 Hadith number : 8789Click here for Scanned Page (182)

6) Imam Ahmad Bin Hambal, Al Musnad Volume : 26 Page : 84 Hadith number : 16162 Click here for Scanned Page (183)

7) Imam Bazzar,  Musnad Al Bazzar, Volume : 8 Page : 411 Hadith number : 3485 Click here for Scanned Page (184)

8)  Ibn e Hibban in his Sahih, Book : Ar Raqaiq Chapter : Ad'iyah Volume : 3 page : 190-191 Hadith number : 910Click here for Scanned Page (185)

9) Ibn e Khuzimah in his Sahi, Volume : 3, Page : 118, Hadith number : 1733-1734 Click here for Scanned Page (186)

10) Imam Bayhaqi, Shu'b Al Eman Chapter : Fadl As Salah 'Ala An NABI SAW Volume : 4 Page : 432 Hadith number : 2768 Click here for Scanned Page (187)

11) Imam Bayhaqi,  Sunan Al Kubra,  Book : Al Juma'ah Chapter : 105 Volume : 3 Page : 353 Hadith number : 5993 Click here for Scanned Page (189)

12) Imam Darimi, Sunan Darmi,  Book : As Salah Chapter : Fee Fadl Yaum Al Jumu'ah Volume : 1 page : 445 Hadith number : 1572 Click here for Scanned Page (190)

13) Imam Majah, Sunan Ibn Majah,  Book : As Salah wa Sunnah feeha Chapter : Fadl yaum Al Jumu'ah (79) Volume : 1 Page : 345 Hadith number : 1085 Click here for Scanned Page (191)

14) Hafiz Ibn e Katheer , Tafseer Al Quran Al Azeem Volume : 6 Page : 473 Under Tafseer of Sorat Al Ahzaab, Ayat # 56 Click here for Scanned Page (192)

15) Imam Nasai, Sunan Nasai,  Book : As Salah Volume : 2 Page : 101 Hadith number : 1373

Hadith #8

عَنِ ابْنِ عُمَرَ رضي اﷲ عنهما قَالَ : قَالَ رَسُوْلُ اﷲِ صلي الله عليه وآله وسلم : مَنْ زَارَ قَبْرِي بَعْدً مَوْتِي کَانَ کَمَنْ زَارَنِي فِي حَيَاتِي

Narrated Abdullah Ibn Umar:

Allah's Messenger (صلى الله عليه وسلم) said: Whoever visits my grave after my death it is same he has visited me in my life. [Tibrani Volume 012: Hadith Number 406, Bayhaqi Shab ul Iman Volume 003: Hadith Number 489]

Note: For complete detail about authenticity of this report please see our other article written specifcally over this hadith. You can find it on this link:

http://www.ahlus-sunna.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=89&Itemid=151

Actions are presented to Prophet (saleh ala waalihi wasalam) in Grave

Hadith #9

عن عبد الله بن مسعود عن النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم قال‏:‏

‏"‏إن لله ملائكة سياحين يبلغون عن أمتي السلام‏"‏‏.‏ قال‏:‏ وقال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم‏:‏

‏"‏حياتي خير لكم تحدثون ويُحدث لكم، ووفاتي خير لكم تعرض علي أعمالكم، فما رأيت من خير حمدت الله عليه وما رأيت من شر استغفرت الله لكم‏"‏‏.‏

It is attributed to ‘Abdullāh bin Mas‘ūd that the Holy Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) is reported to have said:

My life is blissful for you because you hear traditions from people and relate them to others and my death is also blissful for you because your deeds will be presented to me. 
If I see the virtues prevail, I will be grateful to Allah, and if I see the vices prevail, I will pray for your forgiveness from Allah.

References

►Haythamī transmitted it in Majma‘-uz-zawā’id (9:24) and said that that tradition had been reported by Bazzār (in his Musnad) and its sub-narrators are all of sahīh (sound) hadith.

►‘Irāqī has confirmed the soundness of its transmission in his book Tarh-ut-tathrīb fī sharh-it-taqrīb (3:297)

►Ibn Sa‘d has recorded it in at-Tabaqāt-ul-kubrā (2:194)

►Qādī ‘Iyād has inscribed this tradition in ash-Shifā (1:19)

►al-Bazzar from the hadith of Ibn Mas`ud with a sound (sahih) chain.

►It is cited in Subki's Shifa' al-siqâm fi ziyarat khayr al-anâm
[The Healing of the Sick Concerning the Visit of the Best of Creation], where he mentions that Bakr ibn Abd Allah al-Mazini reported it, and Ibn al-Jawzi mentions it through Bakr and then again through Anas ibn Malik in the penultimate chapter of the penultimate section of al-Wafa, both huffaz without giving the isnad. 

Ibn al-Jawzi statement on hadith: Ibn al-Jawzi specifies in the introduction of al-Wafa that he only included sound traditions in his book. He also mentions the version through Aws ibn Aws: "The actions of human beings are shown to me every Thursday on the night of (i.e. preceding) Friday." 

►See also Fath al-Bâri 10:415, 

►al-Mundhiri's Targheeb wa al-Tarheeb 3:343,

Hadith #10

أخبرنا مروانُ بنُ محمدٍ عن سعيدِ بن عبدِالعزيزِ ،، قال: لما كانَ أيام الحرةِ، لم يؤدَّنْ في مسجدِ النبيِّ صلى الله عليه وسلّم ثلاثاً ولم يُقَمْ ولم يبرحْ سعيدُ بن المسيِّبِ من المسجِدِ، وكان لا يعرفُ وقتَ الصلاةِ إلاَّ بهمهمةٍ يَسْمَعُها من قبرِ النبيِّ صلى الله عليه وسلّم فذكَرَ معناهُ.

Translation: Sa’eed bin Abdul Aziz (rah) narrates: During the incident of Al-Harra, there was no Adhaan or Iqamah proclaimed from Masjid an Nabi (Peace be upon him) for “3 Days” Saeed bin Musayb (rah) stayed in the Mosque,“HE USED TO FIND OUT ABOUT TIME OF PRAYER BY THE WHISPERING VOICE WHICH HE HEARD FROM INSIDE THE GRAVE OF PROPHET (PEACE BE UPON HIM)
 [sunnan al Darimi, Volume No.1, Page No. 44, Hadith # 94, Published by Dar ul Kutb al-iLmiyyah, Beirut, Lebanon]

Hadith #11

وعن أبي هريرة قال: سمعت رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلّم يقول: والّذي نَفْسُ أَبي القاسِمِ بِيَدِهِ لَيَنْزِلَنَّ عيسى ابنُ مَريمَ إمَاماً مُقْسِطاً، وَحَكَماً عَدْلاً، فَلَيَكْسِرَنَّ الصَّلِيْبَ، وَيَقْتُلَنَّ الخِنْزِيرَ، وَلَيُصْلِحَنَّ ذَاتَ البَيْنِ، وَلَيُذْهِبَنَّ الشَّحْنَاءَ، وَلَيَعْرُضَنَّ المَالَ فَلا يَقْبَلهُ أَحَدٌ، ثُمَّ لَئِنْ قَامَ على قَبْرِي فَقَالَ: يَا مُحَمَّدُ لأجِيْبَنَّهُ . قلت: هو في الصحيح باختصار. رواه أبو يعلى ورجاله رجال الصحيح

Translation: Narrated Abu Hurayra I heard the Prophet say: "By the one in Whose hand is Abu al-Qasim's soul, `Isa ibn Maryam shall descend as a just and wise ruler. He shall destroy the cross, slay the swine, eradicate discord and grudges, and money shall be offered to him but he will not accept it. “THEN HE SHALL STAND AT MY GRAVESIDE AND SAY:
 YA MUHAMMAD! AND I WILL ANSWER HIM” (Abu Ya`la relates it with a sound (sahih) chain in his Musnad Volume No. 11, Page No. 462]

1. Ibn Taymiyyah said: "The proof of dead awareness comes from two Sahih Books of Bukhari and Muslim in which Rasool Allah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) said that when people have buried a dead person and leave for home, the dead can hear the thumps of sandaled feet of those who leave." [Majmuaat-al-Fatawa by Ibne Taymiyyah, Volume 24: Page No. 362]

Ibn Taymiyah writes: 'A group of people heard the answer of their salaam. And, in the days of Harrah, Sa'id ibn al- Musayyib heard the voice of our Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) saying the adhan, from the grave. And there are more events like these and they are all true. [ibn Taymiyya, Iqtidah Siratul-Mustakeem, Page No. 373]

Due to the fact that there are many narrations regarding this (of which we have only reproduced a few, as an example), Imam Suyuti is of the view that these narrations have reached the level of certainty (tawatur).

2. Ibn Hajar al-Asqalani states:

واحسن من هذا الجواب ان يقال ان حياته صلى الله عليه وسلم في القبر لايعقبها موت بل يستمر حيا والأنبياء احياء في قبورهم

"Death will never come to the Blessed Messenger of Allah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) in his grave, but he will remain alive, due to the fact that the Prophets remain alive in their graves" [Fath al-Bari, Volume 17: Page No. 22]

وإذا ثبت أنهم أحياء من حيث النقل فإنه يقويه من حيث النظر كون الشهداء أحياء بنص القرآن، والأنبياء أفضل من الشهداء

Translation: When the living of the martyrs is proven from the Nass of the Qur'an, then the Prophets are superior than the martyrs" [Fath al-Bari, (6/379)]

3. Ibn Qayyim writes: "Our Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) has said that on Fridays send as many blessings as you can on me.From wherever you sends blessings to me, your voice will reach me.The Companions enquired, 'Even after your death?' Our 'Prophet, (صلى الله عليه وسلم) replied in the affirmative. This is because Allah Most High has made the bodies of the Prophets haram [forbidden] for the earth to eat" [ibn Qayyim, Jala ul Afham, Page No. 63]

4. Ibn Taymiyya writes: 'A group of people heard the answer of their salaam. And, in the days of Harrah, Sa'id ibn al- Musayyib heard the voice of our Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) saying the adhan, from the grave. And there are more events like these and they are all true. [ibn Taymiyya, Iqtidah Siratul-Mustakeem, Page No. 373]

5. Imam Jalauddin Suyuti (rah) on Hayat of Anbiya in their graves: The life of the Prophet (Peace be upon him) in his grave, and also that of other Prophets is known to us as "definitive knowledge (ilman qat`iyyan)" the proofs regarding it are in "TAWATUR" Imam Baihaqi (rah) wrote a Juzz on Life of Anbiya in their graves, the proofs regarding it are such as 1) It is narrated in Sahih Muslim by Anas Ibn Malik (ra) that the Messenger of Allah (Peace be upon him) said: “I passed by Moses during my Night journey and saw him offering prayer in his grave, 2) It is narrtaed by Abu Nua'ym in his Hiliya from Ibn Abbas (ra) who heard the Prophet (Peace be upon him) say: I passed by Moses and saw him standing in prayer, 3) It is narrated in Musnad of Abu Yal'a and by Baihaqi in his book "Hayat al Anbiya" from Anas (ra) that the Porphet (Peace be upon him) said: The Prophets are alive in their graves and praying [imam Suyuti in Al Hawi lil Fatawi, Vol. 2, Page No. 264]

Click here for Scanned Page (21)

6. Imam Ibn Jawzi(ra) States: 1) Narrated by Arbaas bin Sariyah (ra) who said that the Prophet (salallaho alaihi wasalam) said: I was the last Prophet in front Allah when Adam was intermingled in mud, 2) Narrated by Maysira al Fajr (ra) that he asked the Prophet (saw): Since when are you a Nabi? (The Prophet) replied: When Adam was inbetween body and Spirit [Al Wafa bi Ahwal lil Mustafa, Page No. 25] Click here for Scanned Page (27)

Takhreej (1) : Narrated by Hakim in his Mustadrak 2/600 and Tabarani in his Al-Kabir 18/253, and Al Baihaqi in his Dalail an Nabuwwa 1/83, Ibn Asakir in Tarikh ul Dimishq 1/38 Ibn Hibban in his “Sahiha” Hadith No. 2093, Imam Ahmed in his Musnad 4/127, 128 Hakim said in his Mustadrak (2/600): This Hadith has "SAHIH CHAIN" Haythami narrated it in Majma Az Zawaid (8/223) where he said: It is narrated by Ahmed, Tabarani, Al-Bazzar, the narrators of Ahmed "ARE THOSE OF SAHIH" except for Sa’id bin Suwaid who is "THIQA" as said by Ibn Hibban

Takhreej (2): Imam Ahmed narrated it in his Musnad (5/59), Imam Baihaqi in Dalail an Nabuwwa (1/85, 2/129), Imam Hakim Narrated it in his Mustadrak (2/608) where he said: This Hadith has “Sahih Isnad” and Dhahabi also agreed with him 

7. Imam al-Subki states: "It is from our beliefs that the Prophets are alive in their graves". [Tabqat al-Shafi’iyya al-Kubra, Volume 006: Page No. 266] 

The great Hanafi jurist, Ibn Abidin says: "The Prophets are alive in their graves, as proven from the Hadith". [Rasa’il of Ibn Abidin, Volume 002: Page No. 203]

8. Imam al-Shawkani (whom the Salafis/wahabis normally refer to) states: "The Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) is alive in his grave, as has been established in the Hadith “The Prophets are alive in their graves”. [Nayl al-Awtar, Volume 005: Page No. 101]

9. Mullah Ali Qari on Hadhir o Nadhir: [And he (Nuh) shall reply, ‘Muhammad and his Community’] This means that his Community is witness while he vouches for them, but his mention came first out of reverence (للتعظيم). It not Ba’eed (i.e. impossible) that the Prophet (Peace be upon him) is himself witness for Nuh, since it is a context of help and Allah Most High said [When Allah made (His) convenant with the Prophets] until He said [you shall believe in him and you shall help him] (3:81). In this there is a remarkable warning that the Prophet (Peace be upon him) “IS PRESENT AND WITNESSING” in the Greatest Inspection (وفيه تنبيه نبيه أنه حاضر ناظر في ذلك العرض الأكبر), when the Prophets are brought, Nuh being the first, and the latter’s witnesses are brought, namely, this Community. [Mirqat al-Masabih Sharah Mishqat, Mullah Ali Qari Volume 010, Page No. 210, Published by Dar al-Kutub al-ILmiyah]

Click here for Scanned Page (62

10. Mullah Ali al-Qari said in his commentary on ash-Shifah: “Meaning, because his (Peace Be Upon Him) soul,is present in the house of the Muslims. [Mullah Ali Qari, Sharah ush-Shifah, Volume 002, Page No. 117]

Click here for Scanned Page (63)

11. Imam al Khafaji (rah) the author of Sharh ash-Shifa writes:

The prophets are alive in their graves living the ‘real’ life which they had in this world.
 [Naseem ur Rayaadh: Vol. 1 Pg. 196] Click here for Scanned Page (173)

12. The great scholar of Quran and commentator of Sahih Muslim Imam al-Qurtubi (rah) writes:

إن يقال: إن الموت ليس بعدم، وإنما هو انتقال من حال إلى حال، وقد زكرنا زلك فيما تقدم، ويدل على زلك أن الشهداء بعد قتلهم وموتهم أحياء عند ربهم يرزقون فرحين مستبشر، فهزه صفات الاحياء في الدنيا، وإزا كان هزا في الشهداء كان الانبياء بزلك أحق وأولى، مع أنه الانبياء قد صح عن النبي: * أن الارض لا تأكل أجساد الانبياء *، وأن النبي قد اجتمع بالانبياء ليلة الاسراء في بيت المقدس، وفي السماء، وخصوصا بموسى - عليه السلام - وقد أخبرنا النبي بما يقتضي أن الله تعالى يرد عليه روحه حتى يرد السلام على كل من يسلم عليه، إلى غير زلك مما ورد في هزا المعنى، وهو كثير بحيث يحصل من جملته القطع بان موت الانبياء إنما هو راجع إلى أنهم غيبوا عنا بحيث لا ندركهم، وإن كانوا موجودين أحياء، وزلك كالحال في الملائكة فانهم موجودون أحياء، ولا يراهم أحد من نوعنا إلا من خصه الله يكرامة من أوليائه

Translation: Death is not something which brings a total end to something, it is rather transferring from one station to another, the proof of this is that martyres remain alive after getting killed or dying and they also get happy. “THIS IS THE QUALITY OF ALIVE PEOPLE IN WORLD” so when martyres are alive then “PROPHETS ARE MORE DESERVING OF LIFE THAN THEM” and it has come in Sahih hadith that Allah has forbidden the earth to consume the bodies of the Prophets, and on the night of Miraaj the Prophet (Peace be upon him) gathered with all Prophets in Masjid ul Aqsa and the Prophet (Peace be upon him) also “SAW MUSA (A.S) PRAYING INSIDE HIS GRAVE” plus the Prophet has also provided the information that “ANYONE WHO SENDS SALUTATION UPON HIM, THEN HE REPLIES BACK”.Other than this, other ahadith also establish “TO CERTAINTY” that the meaning of death given to Prophets is that “THEY DISAPPEAR FROM OUR EYESIGHTS BUT IN REALITY THEY ARE ALIVE AND PRESENT” and their condition is like that of Angels, because Angels are also alive and “PRESENT” and nobody from human beings is able to see them, “EXCEPT FOR THE AWLIYA WHO THROUGH THEIR KARAMAH CAN EXPERIENCE THEM” [al-Mafhim lima Ashkala min Talkhis Kitab Sahih Muslim Volume 006, Page No. 233-4].

13. Imam al-Manawi (rah) said about Musa (a.s) praying in his grave:

الحديث بظاهره يدل على أنه رآه رؤية حقيقية في اليقظة وأنه حي في قبره يصلي الصلاة التي يصليها في الحياة وذلك وذلك ممكن ولا مانع من ذلك

Translation: This hadith apparently proves that sight of Prophet (Peace be upon him) "WAS REAL" and he (Musa a.s) is “ALIVE IN GRAVE AND PRAYING, LIKE THE ALIVE PRAY” this is possible and there is nothing abstaining from it [Faydh ul Qadeer (5/663)]

Also, one of the major incidents that prove this, is the incident of Me’raj (Ascension of the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) to the heavens), where he met and conversed with many Prophets. He also led them in prayer in Masjid al-Aqsa.

Conclusion:

The above evidences from the Qur’an, Hadith and the sayings of the predecessors are sufficient to prove the fact that the Prophets (عليه السلام) remain alive in their graves after they pass away from this world. There are many other evidences which we have not mentioned here, due to the fear of prolonging our discussion.

Qur'an States:

إِنَّ اللّهَ اشْتَرَى مِنَ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ أَنفُسَهُمْ وَأَمْوَالَهُم بِأَنَّ لَهُمُ الجَنَّةَ يُقَاتِلُونَ فِي سَبِيلِ اللّهِ فَيَقْتُلُونَ وَيُقْتَلُونَ وَعْدًا عَلَيْهِ حَقًّا فِي التَّوْرَاةِ وَالْإِنجِيلِ وَالْقُرْآنِ وَمَنْ أَوْفَى بِعَهْدِهِ مِنَ اللّهِ فَاسْتَبْشِرُواْ بِبَيْعِكُمُ الَّذِي بَايَعْتُم بِهِ وَذَلِكَ هُوَ الْفَوْزُ الْعَظِيمُ

No doubt. Allah has purchased from the muslims their lives and their belongings against this return, that for them is Paradise, they fight in the way of Allah, then they kill and are killed; true promise on His generous responsibility in the Taurah and the Injeel and the Quran. And who is, true to his words than Allah'? Rejoice then in your trade ' which you have done with Him And it is this which is, the great triumph. [At-Tawba 9:111]

This following verse is very important to understand and we would like to conclude our article with it.

أَمْ حَسِبَ الَّذِينَ اجْتَرَحُوا السَّيِّئَاتِ أَن نَّجْعَلَهُمْ كَالَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ سَوَاءً مَّحْيَاهُمْ وَمَمَاتُهُمْ ۚ سَاءَ مَا يَحْكُمُونَ

Qur’an states: Or do those who commit evils think We will make them like those who have believed and done righteous deeds - [make them] equal in their life and their death? Evil is that which they judge. [45:21]

So how could the evil doers and Prophets be considered "EQUAL IN LIFE AND DEATH"  so evil is indeed what the Salafis judge by considering Prophets to have mixed with dust and having no link with Ummah.

بحث میں حصہ لیں

آپ ابھی پوسٹ کرکے بعد میں رجسٹر ہوسکتے ہیں۔ اگر آپ پہلے سے رجسٹرڈ ہیں تو سائن اِن کریں اور اپنے اکاؤنٹ سے پوسٹ کریں۔
نوٹ: آپ کی پوسٹ ناظم کی اجازت کے بعد نظر آئے گی۔

اس ٹاپک پر جواب دیں

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• حالیہ دیکھنے والے   0 اراکین

• کوئی رجسٹرڈ رُکن اس صفحے کو نہیں دیکھ رہا